Hi there! I'm so glad you stopped by to visit!
I recently hosted a New Catalog Open House at my home to introduce some of the new items in the Stampin' Up! 2010-2011 Idea Book & Catalog and to showcase the new colors presented with the Color Renovation. The invitation for the Open House included a card made with the Tropical Party stamp set, so I designed the Make & Take project for the Open House to coordinate with the card. (You can see the invitation card in this blog post.) The Tropical Party stamp set is shown in the Summer Mini Catalog; so it's only available through the end of this month. I just love this stamp set and its coordinating Designer Series Paper, Island Oasis!
One of the first 3-D projects I made at a Stampin' Up! workshop (many years ago) was a matchbook cover with a partial pad of Post-It Notes inside. They are so easy to make and folks just love to receive them because they're so cute and tuck into small places. Instead of holding a partial pad of Post-It Notes, this matchbook cover holds two mini note cards and envelopes.
(click on the matchbook cover to see a larger image)
We'll start with the matchbook cover. The cover is made with Pumpkin Pie cardstock (3 3/8" x 8 3/8", scored at 3 1/4", 3 5/8", and 7 3/8" along the 8 3/8" length). One end (the one with the score line closest to the end) is punched with the Scallop Edge border punch, then folded up and stapled near the fold. A piece of Old Olive 1/4" grosgrain ribbon wraps around this fold and is knotted over the staple. The cover of the matchbook is decorated with (from bottom to top):
- A piece of Island Oasis Designer Series Paper
- A piece of Tempting Turquoise cardstock punched with the 2 3/8" scallop circle punch
- A piece of Old Olive cardstock embossed with the Square Lattice Textured Impressions embossing folder and the Big Shot, punched with the 1 3/4" circle punch, then the edges were distressed
- A palm frond stamped with Old Olive ink on Whisper White cardstock, cut out with Paper Snips, and attached with SNAIL
- A large flower stamped with Daffodil Delight ink topped with a small flower stamped with Tempting Turquoise ink, both on Whisper White cardstock, cut out with Paper Snips, the petals rolled up with a bone folder, joined with a Brights brad, and attached with a Stampin' Dimensional
- A small flower stamped with Real Red ink on Whisper White cardstock, cut out with Paper Snips, the petals rolled up with a bone folder, and attached with SNAIL
The mini note cards are also made with Pumpkin Pie cardstock. The inside sentiment area of the note card is lined with Naturals White cardstock with the edges sponged with Pumpkin Pie ink. The fronts of the note cards are decorated with (from bottom to top):
- A piece of Old Ollive cardstock embossed with the Square Lattice Textured Impressions embossing folder and the Big Shot, then the edges were distressed
- A large flower stamped with Daffodil Delight ink topped with a small flower stamped with Tempting Turquoise ink, both on Whisper White cardstock, cut out with Paper Snips, the petals rolled up with a bone folder, joined with a Brights brad, and attached with Mini Glue Dots
- A coconut cup stamped twice with Early Espresso ink on Whisper White cardstock. The first coconut cup was cut out with Paper Snips and the straw and umbrella were colored with Real Red, Tempting Turquoise, and Tangerine Tango Stampin' Write Markers. The second coconut cup was cut out to exclude the umbrella, straw and exposed "coconut meat" then placed atop the first coconut cup with a Stampin' Dimensional. This embellishment was attached to the card front with SNAIL placed on the back of the coconut cup and the umbrella
- A "Congratulations" message from the Perfect Punches stamp set was stamped in Real Red ink on Whisper White cardstock, punched with the Modern Label punch, and then attached to the card front with SNAIL. (Some of the Open House guests wanted to use a different greeting, so I got out the never fail Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set and they chose their greeting, stamped it on a scrap of Whisper White cardstock using Real Red ink, punched it out with the Word Window punch, attached it to a piece of Real Red cardstock punched with the Modern Label punch, and then attached to the card front with SNAIL.)
The fronts of the Mini Envelopes for the mini note cards were stamped three times with the palm frond image in Old Olive ink across the bottom edge of the envelope. The large flower was stamped on the left just above the palm fronds with Daffodil Delight ink and the small flower was stamped just right of center above the palm fronds with Tempting Turquoise ink.
The idea for this make and take project came from a blog post by Becky Roberts at Inking Idaho. She used this idea with the Play Date Designer Series Paper and the 2-Step Owl punch. You can see her adorable project and tutorial here.
Looking forward to your next visit!
Stamps: Tropical Party, Perfect Punches; Inks: Daffodil Delight, Early Espresso, Old Olive, Real Red, Tempting Turquoise; Stampin' Write Markers: Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Tempting Turquoise; Cardstock: Naturals White, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Tempting Turquoise, Whisper White; Designer Series Paper: Island Oasis; Embellishments: Brights Brads (Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Real Red), Old Olive 1/4" Grosgrain ribbon; Adhesives: SNAIL, Stampin' Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots; Tools: Paper Cutter/Scorer, Paper Snips, Bone Folder, Sponge, 1 3/4" circle punch, Scallop Border punch, Modern Label punch, 2 3/8" Scallop Circle punch, Cutter Kit (Edge Distresser), Paper Piercer/Mat Pack, Big Shot w/Standard Cutting Pads, Multi-purpose Platform, Square Lattice Textured Impressions embossing folder, Stapler/Staples; Other: Whisper White Mini Envelopes