Today's post provides the how-to's for creating one of the projects designed for the Stamp Review Crew Blog Hop featuring the Happy Birthday Gorgeous stamp set. To see a line up of all the Stampin' Up! artists who participated in the hop, click here. To begin the hop, click here.
One of the great things about the Happy Birthday Gorgeous stamp set is that it's so versatile. You can make elegant, fun, classic, or silly birthday cards or just use the floral images for any kind of card you want to make. For this card, I wanted to make the kind of birthday card I most send -- the Belated birthday card. It's so sad...but I think that this fun card helps to make up for the tardiness of the delivery.
This card begins with a card base of Night of Navy cardstock. A piece of Peekaboo Peach cardstock was covered with Shimmery White Embossing Paste using the diamond-patterned mask from the Pattern Party Decorative Masks. Most folks think that using embossing paste is a difficult process because there are tools. They would be wrong. Here's how it's done:
- Place the cardstock on a flat surface that is protected with a larger piece of scrap paper
- Place the decorative mask over the cardstock and tape the edges of the mask in place on the scrap paper (I use repositionable tape)
- Open the embossing paste and using the palette knife with the long, narrow flat spreading surface, scoop up some embossing paste and smooth it over the cardstock area until the entire cardstock surface is covered
- Carefully remove the mask and set the cardstock aside to dry. The drying time varies depending upon the thickness of the embossing paste. Usually between 10-15 minutes
Here are some really important things to remember when using embossing paste:
- Always keep the lid tightly closed when the embossing paste is not in use
- Immediately rinse the mask and palette knife. And I mean IMMEDIATELY. If you let the embossing paste remain on either one of these tools it will dry and cannot be removed. Think concrete. I keep a bowl of water next to my work area and drop them in the water as soon as I pick the mask up from the cardstock
While you are waiting for the embossing paste to dry, you can make your focal point. For this card, I stacked three of the "Happy Birthday" thinlits on top of each other. To do this, I used the Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets. Here's how it's done:
- Cut a piece of Multipurpose Adhesive Sheet to the size of the cardstock to be die cut
- Remove the adhesive covering (it has printing on it) on the Multipurpose Adhesive Sheet and carefully place the cardstock on top of the adhesive sheet. Be advised that once the cardstock makes contact with the adhesive sheet you won't be able to remove it
- Place the "Happy Birthday" thinlit on top of the cardstock/adhesive sheet and die cut with the Big Shot (I run it through the Big Shot twice). Repeat for the next two pieces of cardstock
- Once all the cardstock is die cut, remove the adhesive backing from the back of the first die cut and stack the die cut directly on top of the second die cut. Then remove the adhesive cover from the back of the third die cut and place it directly on top of the first die cut
The embossing paste should be dry now. Just touch the tip of your finger to the paste and if it doesn't feel wet or move, then it's dry. Adhere a strip of Naturally Eclectic Designer Series Paper across the embossed cardstock using Mini Glue Dots with the top edge of the Designer Series Paper 1-3/8" below the top edge of the embossed cardstock and the left and right edges of the Designer Series Paper flush with the left and right edges of the cardstock. Remove the adhesive backing from the bottom of the stack of "Happy Birthday" die cuts and adhere the die cuts at a jaunty angle over the Designer Series Paper strip and embossed cardstock.
Stamp the Classic Label outline image on Whisper White cardstock using Emerald Envy ink. [Tip: The images in the Happy Birthday Gorgeous stamp set are photopolymer. For best stamping results, be sure to place the Stampin' Pierce Mat below the cardstock you are stamping.] Repeat for a second piece of Whisper White cardstock. Stamp the "Belated" sentiment inside one of the label outlines using Night of Navy ink with the "B" in "Belated" close to the left end of the label image. Stamp the "to you" sentiment inside the second label outline image using Night of Navy ink with the "t" in "to you" close to the left end of the label image. Using the Classic Label punch, center the stamped image inside the punch window and punch out the two outline label images. Then use the Classic Label punch to create two labels from Night of Navy cardstock. Adhere a Night of Navy label behind and to the left of each of the Whisper White labels to create a drop shadow. Using Paper Snips, clip off the "open" end of the label 1/8" to the right of the "D" in "Belated" and the "u" in "you". Using Mini Glue Dots, adhere the "word" end of each label to the embossed cardstock. The right end of the "Belated" label is located flush with the right side of the embossed cardstock so that the point of the label is somewhat inbetween the "Happy" and "Birthday" of the thinlit. The right end of the "to you" label is located flush with the right side of the embossed cardstock so that the point of the label is below the "y" in the "Happy Birthday" thinlit.
Mat the embossed cardstock with a slightly larger piece of Soft Sky cardstock and adhere at the center of the card front.
The inside sentiment area of the card is lined with a piece of Whisper White cardstock. The Classic Label outline image was stamped near the upper center of the liner using Emerald Envy ink. The "celebrate" sentiment was stamped inside the outline image using Night of Navy ink so that the "c" in "celebrate" is 3/8" from the left point of the outline image. The "you" from the "to you" sentiment was inked with Peekaboo Peach ink and stamped inside the outline image so that the "u" in "you" is 3/8" from the right point of the outline image.
A thin strip of Soft Sky cardstock was adhered behind the top edge of a strip of Naturally Eclectic Designer Series Paper and the strips adhered along the bottom edge of the liner so that the left, bottom, and right edges of the strips are flush with the left, bottom, and right edges of the liner.
A piece of Naturally Eclectic Designer Series Paper was adhered to the flap of the Medium Whisper White Envelope. Paper Snips were used to trim the paper along the edges of the envelope flap (working from the back of the envelope flap).
If you are tuned into the Stampin' Up! community, then you know that the 2018-2019 Stampin' Up! Catalog is due for release very soon. Demonstrators around the world have had the chance to see the new catalog and the buzz for what is coming in June is pretty exciting -- new stamp sets, new tools, and most exciting of all, new colors! The good news is that Stampin' Up! has to make room in the warehouse for all that new product. You can see the Retiring Lists for the Occasions Catalog and the 2017-2018 Stampin' Up! Catalog by clicking on the Order Online button on the right sidebar of this blog post and then click on the Last-Chance Products hot link at the left side of the page.
Remember that all the items on these lists are available only while supplies last. Note that retiring ink pads, reinkers, and cardstock sell out extremely quickly.
Card Measurements --
Night of Navy: 4-1/4" x 11" scored at 5-1/2" along the 11" length, 3 @ 3" x 3-3/8", 2 @ 1" x 3"; Soft Sky: 4-1/8" x 5-3/8", 3/8" x 4"; Peekaboo Peach: 4" x 5-1/4"; Whisper White: 2 @ 1" x 3", 4" x 5-1/4"; Naturally Eclectic Designer Series Paper: 1-3/4" x 4", 1" x 4", 2-1/4" x 6"
Supplies I used to make this card --
Stamps: Happy Birthday Gorgeous; Inks: Emerald Envy, Night of Navy, Peekaboo Peach; Cardstock: Night of Navy, Peekaboo Peach, Soft Sky, Whisper White; Designer Series Paper: Naturally Eclectic; Adhesives: SNAIL, Mini Glue Dots, Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets; Tools: Stampin' Trimmer, Simply Scored Scoring Tool, Bone Folder, Paper Snips, Classic Label punch, Shimmery White Embossing Paste, Palette Knives, Pattern Party Decorative Masks, Big Shot w/Magnetic Platform, Happy Birthday Thinlits; Other: Medium Whisper White Envelope